Image

Re-build of TW560, part 2

As TW560 cannot monopolize Andi’s business for days on end, TW560’s revival had to pause for a few days. Other TWIKEs need repairs, too!

We rejoin the action for the second part of TW560’s re-build. The goal for today is to get TW560’s back on its own wheels, able to break and propel itself – a bonus would be to have the hood fitted.

Let’s see how far we can get today.

Last time we left off with the main frame mounted and the battery bay ready. A good next step is to add the back suspension assembly. When this is mounted, the motor can be added easily.

Stabilizers and shock absorbers mounted.

Stabilizers and shock absorbers mounted.


 
The re-build not only allows TW560 to have new bolts everywhere but also to thoroughly clean every part – even the ones that are usually very hard to get to!

Motor/gearbox assembly ready for deep-cleansing

Motor/gearbox assembly ready for deep-cleansing


 

My motor assembly gets a deep-clean before being put back in place.

Clean Motor/gearbox assembly

Clean Motor/gearbox assembly


 

With the motor back in place and the break lines attached, it’s time to mount the wheels.

Wheels on - nearly there!

Wheels on – nearly there!


 

You might recall that not so long ago, I replaced the lower part of the steering fork. When I discovered this problem, I also said that the upper part was in rather urgent need of TLC.
 

With some expert sandblasting and new protective coating it looks like new!

Front steering assembly as good as new!

Front steering assembly as good as new!


 
The upper ring was super-rusty and cracked at various points – we replaced it completely and gave it some additional welding points for more strength.

This front assembly should now last for at least another 250,000km!

Sandblasted, new spot welding and protective paint

Sandblasted, new spot welding and protective paint


 

Front wheel assembly ready!

Front wheel assembly ready!


 
Andi adds the break calipers, connects the break lines and steering yoke and mounts the front wheel.

With this, TW560v2 is able to stand on its own and can be pushed around. This is a very important moment!

Front assembly detail

Front assembly detail


 
Things suddenly go rather fast – TW560v2 looks more and more like a working TWIKE. There still are many details that need to be taken care of, granted, but I’m really looking forward to the moment when I can get into my ‘new’ TWIKE and drive my first few metres.

A few stickers and lights still missing

A few stickers and lights still missing


 
We start to add the inverter, AK-rail with its electronics and DCDC converter and all the interconnections between the controls, lights and the AK-rail.

Seats ready, hood mechanism next

Seats ready, hood mechanism next


 
Now, for the most important part: the battery. It’s been in storage since the end of February. How has it kept its charge? Well see very soon!

Most important part: 17kWh worth of batteries!

Most important part: 17kWh worth of batteries!


 
With everything hooked up and the high-voltage system ready – TW560v2 is ready for its first boot and functional check… How did it go?

See for yourself below:

 
With this, Andi has completed our main goals for today – the hood will be added tomorrow.

This is not a critical part and will only take about an hour. We’re ready… and Andi has truly earned himself a beer! Cheers!

Andi made it - TW560 is ready for its first drive

Andi made it – TW560 is ready for its first drive


 
As soon as he has mounted the hood, I will collect TW560 for a week worth of driving. TW560v2 will still be in a very basic state. No quick chargers, no interior trappings, no windscreen wipers and lots of parts that still need fine-tuning. It will be a minimum-TWIKE-for-test-drives setup.

This will allow all bolts to settle and I will be able to determine if there are any serious drive-relevant issues.

YAY! Looking forward to collecting my TWIKE soon!